Thursday, February 19, 2009

Consumer Woes

Gggrrrr.... I am compelled to do a little bashing of a particular matress manufacturer, and for purposes of anonymity, we'll refer to this company as STEALY (wink and a smile). I purchased a STEALY mattress just over 5 years ago. The mattress has a 10 year warranty against sagging and body impressions. Only 2 years into our relationship with this mattress, we were having issues with pretty bad body impressions (this is where my husband can't move to close to my side of the bed for fear of falling into my particular crevice and crushing me to death - the best thing about weekends is when he is forced to go sleep on the couch due to intense back pain, and I get to sleep on the "hump" in between our two crevaces). The reason we think they are so bad is because we got a super-soft pillow top. The way they test for whether this meets the warranty?? Honest to goodness, they put a piece of wood across the bed, and measure the space between the wood and the pillow top. Mind you, they have to measure from the highest point, as there are indents from the quilted texture of the pillow top. For starters that is not fair in my mind regardless of the fact that ITS A PILLOW TOP. How do you really tell how bad body impressions in a bed are by just measuring the pillow-y surface??? Needless to say we were denied.

Three years after the fact and I have to put in another claim or we are honestly going to start sleeping on the floor, my back would hurt less and I'd probably sleep better. Apparently the company I bought the mattress from no longer handles the warranty, I have to go directly through STEALY. I called, requested a claim form be sent to me (you have to leave a message, there's no other choice), never got it, tried again and this time tried the "Claim Status" option, and the woman says, Well that method of requesting a form doesn't always work. ??????? Anyhoo, I finally get the form, fill out more information than when I bought my house, and submit the claim. On January 29th. Today I called for a status, because its 3 weeks later and I haven't heard anything. The woman on the phone today says, Oh, we haven't even gotten to that week, we are still working on January 21st. I sat in stunned silence, and she said, Hello? I said, I'm here, I'm just trying to digest how a company can operate with those metrics as the acceptable standard. I mean, you expect a little delay, but honestly, she said it will be at least 3 more weeks! Which means that STEALY mattress company expects you to submit a claim and as a standard wait 6 weeks before they even touch it. At which point the only thing they do is schedule an inspection, probably for another 6 weeks out, where the inspector comes in and with his advanced "stick" technology will again try to tell me the impressions are not deep enough. I will ask him to sleep on it for even just an hour (warm milk, blankets, and a story will be provided) and tell me what he thinks then. I think they are trying to wear me out, but I will win, if I have to call every single day for the next 5 years I will get a new mattress. I don't want anything fancy, I'm not looking to scam them, I just want my warranty to do what it actually says its supposed to do. Why why why do companies have to be so dishonest and unloyal?? I will never get it. So, the moral of the tale?? DON'T BY A "STEALY" MATTRESS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment